Civil Litigation Lawyer Pickering - When a business experiences financial issues, it is important to choose the right group to assist your business through the necessary processes. These may consist of bankruptcies, business restructuring and insolvencies. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Team has a wealth of skill to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide suggestion and representation, leading to timely, effective, and strategic solutions.
We work with business enterprises within industries like for example automotive, airline, biomedical, communications, construction, entertainment, funeral, financial services, insurance, healthcare, manufacturing, marketing, steel, mining, retail, technology, natural resources, and real estate. Our lawyers can help you with the difficulties of cross-border procedures administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive knowledge with domestic and multi-national business reorganizations and restructuring, whether court-supervised or informal. Bankruptcy and Insolvency restructuring legislation in the U.S. and Canada have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; nonetheless, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to require individuals involved in cross-border procedures to be knowledgeable about both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries within a lot of the largest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act, and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA").
Access to the required experts may be able to help tip the scales in your favour of outcomes that are positive throughout insolvency or business restructuring. We are able to draw on the experience of our skillful members across our international firms within the many legal fields dealing with business reorganizations. Our firm has experts in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, private and public equity, labour and employment, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our team provides expert litigators.
For the many stakeholders we represent, our services comprise the following:
1. We advise financially challenged companies on restructuring options and alternatives like for instance initiating and directing formal restructuring procedures under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. In relation to businesses in financial distress, we advise board members and the independent/special committees of private and public corporations.
3. We advise in relation to insolvent business debtors, including providing advice in the context of cross-border restructuring proceedings, to institutional and non-regulated lenders, members of and agents to operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, trust indenture trustees, bondholders, formal and ad hoc noteholders committees, and private equity and hedge fund investors.
4. We advise formal and ad-hoc creditors committees in cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to Canadian and cross-border restructuring proceedings.
5. We advise secured creditors concerning the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests in insolvency proceedings.
6. We can help trustees through liquidators, bankruptcy, receivers, monitors, interim receivers, construction lien trustees and other court-appointed officers in CCAA proceedings. Moreover, we can make proposals under the BIA, comprising receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. In relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors, we advise equipment vendors and lessors, contracting third parties, suppliers, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency realizations and proceedings.
8. We advise purchasers acquiring businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the CCAA and BIA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. We help financial advisors, investment bankers, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency procedures.
10. We offer counsel about various litigation matters arising in the context of business restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency cases.
11.We prosecute and defend preference actions and litigation actions for fraudulent conveyance of assets and acquiring urgent relief to protect and preserve assets from dissipation, like for example mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf